Help Us Create the World's Best Product Reviews
We're an internet company with a bold mission to create the world's best outdoor gear reviews. To get a sense of the kind of reviews we create and publish, please look at our website. Our recent reviews will give you a sense of the level of detail and depth we strive for. You can also read about our company philosophy on our About OutdoorGearLab page.
- In-House Review Editor
- In-House Mountain Bike Review Editor
- General Freelance Reviewers
Find details below.
In-House Review Editor
Interested in working for South Lake Tahoe's fastest growing internet company? We're looking to add a talented, detail-oriented editor on a full-time basis to help us manage over 200 outdoor product review categories (i.e., everything from ultralight backpacking, hiking footwear, water sports, and family camping). As a Review Editor, you'll be part of our core team in producing our world-class product reviews. This role involves sourcing and managing 20+ freelance writers as well as some hands-on testing from time to time.
Our ideal candidate has at least five years writing and editing experience and is a very detail-oriented person with strong writing and analytical skills. The ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and maintain deadlines is a requirement. A technical writing background is a major plus, as copy editing is required on a content and grammatical basis. Extensive experience with outdoor products will be important for this role. Excellent working knowledge of Google Drive, Docs, and Spreadsheets is required. Prior experience with blogging systems and/or web content systems will give you a leg up over other candidates (but isn't strictly required). A high level of effective communication across multiple platforms is a must.Responsibilities
- Oversee the most detailed reviews in the industry
- Research and stay up-to-date on new gear and technology
- Source expert reviewers
- Work with reviewers to select, purchase, and ship gear
- Manage freelance reviewers to reach deliverables
- Edit and publish freelance reviews
- Provide feedback following projects
- Some travel to trade shows may be expected
- Work with freelance reviewers and the in-house photographer to obtain photographs for review
- Strong outdoor industry background
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and projects
- An understanding of the average outdoor gear consumer, not just elite athletes
- Substantial academic background in journalism, English, or communications
- College degree required
- Basic computer and internet skills required
- Cannot be sponsored by any gear manufacturers and must disclose previous work and relationships in the outdoor industry
This full-time position will be located in South Lake Tahoe and offers competitive compensation. If you are interested in applying, please send your cover letter, resume, and examples of your writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In-House Mountain Bike Review Editor
OutdoorGearLab is seeking a Mountain Bike Editor with strong bike industry experience paired with a work and/or educational background in writing/journalism. This is a full-time, year-round, position that will be based in our office in South Lake Tahoe.
The Mountain Bike Editor wears many hats. This person is in charge of overseeing all aspects of OutdoorGearLab's mountain bike program. To achieve this, the role spans from organizing testing, putting in serious miles on bikes, and writing/editing reviews. In order to succeed in this role, you will need to be able to handle a sizeable workload while also managing projects for contractors and freelance writers. The editor must be flexible and adaptable as the scope of the mountain bike program is evolving.Responsibilities
- Oversee the most detailed reviews in the industry
- Stay up-to-date on new bike releases and technology
- Source bikes for testing
- Develop test plans and organize testers
- Extensively test bikes
- Write thorough, tight, and detailed bike reviews.
- Work with in-house photographer to obtain photographs for review
- Manage freelance/contract reviewers
- Edit and make freelance/contract reviews live
- Strong bike industry background
- Ability to push test bikes hard to gain a firm understanding of ride characteristics
- Ability to multitask and prioritize projects
- An understanding of the average bike consumer, not just bike fanatics/bike nerds
- Substantial academic background in journalism, English or communications
- College degree required
- Open to riding and testing all categories of mountain bikes and electric mountain bikes
This full-time position will be located in South Lake Tahoe and offers competitive compensation. If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and examples of your writing to: email@example.com
Our ideal freelance reviewer is self-motivated, has a college degree, is an expert in one or more outdoor activities and related gear categories, has strong writing and analytical skills, loves gear and reads online reviews extensively as a matter of course.
Our freelance reviewers work remotely as independent contractors on a part-time basis.
The general scope of work involves testing all the products we select for a category (like backpacking water filters or fleece jackets), rating each, then creating a detailed written review of each product.
Note that, unlike a lot of other websites, we don't review just one product but instead have a reviewer take on the entire category and test all products side-by-side. You will use and test each product with a critical eye toward scoring it against four to six rating criteria. Our reviews are detailed and extensive. We will provide you with the products to test and a set of rating metrics on which to evaluate each product.
Your job as an OutdoorGearLab reviewer is to familiarize yourself with the category and each product, research existing user-reviews, rate each product, take photos of the products in use, help select the award winners, write up the review for each product, write the best-in-class award overview review, write the buying advice article, and write a description of how we test.
Our strongest candidates will provide at least one gear review writing sample, one that was either written for previous publication or an original. Similarly, we prefer to see photo samples that highlight outdoor gear in action. We're also interested in your longer and/or more technical writing samples.
Compensation varies depending on each category's complexity and the number of products to be tested, but typically ranges from $1,700 to $2,500 for a full category review project.
Current openings in the following areas of expertise:
Eligible candidates must be located in the Lake Tahoe region:
- Bike Trailers for Kids
Current openings outside of the Lake Tahoe region:
- Women's crossfit shoe reviewer/writer
- Bike panniers reviewer/writer
However, we're always accepting applications as reviews open up unexpectedly at times. If you have expertise outside of the above categories and would like to be considered should a freelance review opportunity arise, please apply and let us know of your area(s) of interest. We will keep your information on file.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying to become a reviewer for OutdoorGearLab, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your resume.
- Three references.
- A list of outdoor activities and gear categories that you are an expert in, the more specific, the better.
- 2-3 extensive examples of your writing; we strongly prefer actual gear review samples.
- 2-3 sample photographs; we strongly prefer photos that highlight gear in an active, outdoor setting.
- A link to a social media account.